Pages

Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Brief Trip to Bridezillaland

This past weekend we ventured back to NY to attend Alson's college roomate's wedding. I won't go into detail about the entire weekend, but since we are getting married in a little over 3 weeks, I can't help but bring up a few important points, and discuss my brief trip into Bridezillaland.
  • Alson was part of the wedding party so I spent all afternoon Friday (while the boys were getting tuxes and doing other groomsmen things) and all day Saturday (before, during, and a good two hours after the wedding) either by myself or with other girls I didn't know. Luckily one of the other groomsmen's dates was pretty cool, but still I was really sad I didn't get to spend much time with Alson, especially during the actual wedding when I was feeling a little anxious and emotional. Now I feel kind of bad for my wedding party's dates.
  • Speaking of the actual wedding....it was 95 degrees out, and the church was not air conditioned. Pretty much everyone in there was dripping sweat. The poor bride and groom were constantly dabbing themselves with a handkerchief. I was stuck to the pew more than once and my silk dress had some pretty severe pit stains. Gross. Most of the guests stopped back at the hotel to either take a shower or freshen up before the reception. Note to self...ensure the air conditioning is on and blasting at our wedding.
  • The bride and groom took dance lessons so that they would be able to Waltz during their first dance. It was really cute. But in general, the whole first dance thing seems drawn out and too awkward for my liking.
  • The place where they had the reception was a beautiful two level cabin style reception hall with a large deck that over looked a pond. It was stunning, especially when you walked in on the second level and saw the tables and decor set up one level below....however, I am convinced that the deck worked to their disadvantage. It made the reception essentially split into two parties. One out on the deck and one in the actual place. It was so nice to be out on the deck that we (and all the rest of the 20 somethings) pretty much stayed out there all night.
  • Immediately after the "cake" cutting (they actually had cupcakes) there was a fireworks show. It was pretty cool, but I was secretly jealous throughout the entire display.
Honestly, now I am concerned about our wedding and how it will "stack up". Throughout the whole weekend I couldn't help but think "Hmm...I wish I thought of that, I wish we were doing this differently, our will be better than what they did." Terrible, I know, but I can't help but compare what was at their wedding and what will be at ours.

What I hate the most is that I know this is childish, and what is most important about our wedding is Alson and I and our commitment to one another, not all the hoopla....but, I admit I am human. I have tried so hard not to be a bridezilla and until this weekend, I think I have done a pretty great job. I don't want to lose sight of what matters this close to the big day.

So, now that I have that out of my system, I am ready to refocus on what is important to me and what will make my day special.

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry, I think every bride can't help but compare her wedding to others. I know I did! Yours will be beautiful and unique and most importantly, all yours and Alson's!
    P.S. Jon has been in several wedding parties and it truly does stink because you do spend a lot of time by yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitey ensure the A/C is being turned on way before you arrive. My best friend got married in August a few years back, and the church forgot to have the a/c on for us. They got it cooled off before guests arrive, but the 3 hours of picture taking and getting ready before the ceremony were miserable. Also, go watch this video about a wedding first dance. I thought of it as soon as I read your bullet on the first dance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqiw-Kqtlr0

    ReplyDelete