Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I <3 Running

Now that Alson and I are training to run the Marine Corps 10k, I have become obsessed with all things running. I really hope that this enthusiasm carries me through the end of October!

We are planning to follow this 8 week training program. Since the 10k is 9 and a half weeks away, this week we are just trying to get our stamina up since we lost some in the months since we stopped running.

First dilemma we ran into...I didn't know how we were supposed to figure out how many miles we ran. Back in the day I used to only run at the gym and/or at a track...which obviously are both make it easy to measure mileage. Also, when we were following the Couch to 5k program in the spring, it always gave minutes as well as miles {ex. Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes)}, so it was easy to measure our time (instead of mileage) with a watch. Our 10k program only gives miles measurements....enter Google.

I found Map My Run, which....maps your run. You just click the route you took, or what you would like to take, and it will spit out the mileage. For example, here is a route that someone created in DC:



When you are actually creating the map you can zoom in and out and all that fun stuff.

There are also lots of cool features, like a training log, calorie calculator, goal and challenge setter, etc. Maybe after the 10k I will sign up for the "Run 100 Miles in a Month Challenge". Super cool! All the features are free after you sign up, and although there are a lot of banners that are kind of annoying, it is definitely keeping me super motivated!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed that you and Alston are getting back into running. I know that 10K isn't anything extreme, but it's definitely more than I've ever done. Have a blast ... and congrats in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how come I had no idea you were going to start running again? You definitely did not mention it at lunch. We should run sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with Map My Run. It makes running so much easier! I love that you can find running routes that other people have entered in around your area. Also, I swear that treadmill/eliptical mileage counters are inaccurate. They always say you went farther/ran faster than you actually did.

    ReplyDelete