Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Blog Social Skills

My secretary at DSS left my calendar open today so that I would have plenty of time to pack up my stuff, say goodbye to all my tutees, and catch up on the last minute office gossip. Most of my day was spent on the latter, but I still ended up having a lot of free time this afternoon. After finally posting again, I got sucked into the blog world and spent most of the afternoon browsing others' blogs. Two hours later......I found some I like, commented, and have added a link to them on my page.


But, now I feel awkward.....


I guess it's because I don't know the blog world social etiquette. Is it weird to comment on someone's blog if you don't know them? Should I introduce myself before declaring that I'm a "reader"? What are the rules, what are the rules!?!?*

I suppose it sounds pretty stupid, but I feel like I'm back in 8th grade and I'm the new girl at school who is trying to make some friends. It especially hits home since I am moving to a
new city in two weeks! I guess I feel like it is strange to try and make (blog)friends because I have always had the convenience of a surefire network of potential friends (i.e. first college roommate, cheer team, grad program, etc.) and this is more open/unrestricted and also carries the possibility of rejection. Does that make sense?

I think this is a nice description of the situ:

Ultimately, I'm sure it's no big deal and people would be flattered to know I find their writing interesting, but until I am comfortable as a blogger, I will fret about my blog social skills!

BTW, I love someecards. They are hysterical and often speak to me!

*Does that phrase remind anyone else of the Betty Crocker commercial where the kid flips out that Santa is going to leave because someone ate the cookies? LOVE THAT COMMERCIAL

3 comments:

  1. hey, thanks for commenting on my blog! :) I don't think there's any official etiquette except that all bloggers love comments and you certainly don't need to "know" someone to leave a comment. The best way to build up some readers at your site is to read and comment on lots of of blogs, or at least a few one regularly. Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Janet (love her!), you don't need to know anyone, and it's always nice to know who is reading your blog via comments.

    Welcome to the Big Wide World of Blogging! :o)

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha... i think everyone goes through these thoughts at first (i know i did). it seemed like all the commenters on the blogs i was reading knew the writer... but now i know better. i comment whenever and wherever i please now. i figure if someone doesn't want strangers reading and commenting they wouldn't allow it :)

    just checkin out your blog... keep it up : )

    ReplyDelete