Pages

Friday, April 25, 2008

Being a Bride

After presenting my thesis data at a psychology conference tomorrow, Alson and I are headed to Pinehurst to tie up some loose wedding ends. I looked at my wedding webpage today, T-minus 71 days until the big day. It's getting so close!

The first thing on our to-do list is my dress fitting. I have had my dress for over a year and a half and this is the first time I am putting it on in almost a year. It will also be the only time I am putting it on before the wedding. I know most people have multiple fittings, but since we are moving in two weeks, trying the dress on a few times just to make sure I haven't gained/loss too much weight isn't an option. I guess I better stick to the same exercise plan and eating habits from here on out. Alson has already seen pictures of my dress and he will be accompanying me to the appointment, but I think I will make him sit in another room so he can't see me in the dress. I would not call myself a traditionalist, but I would like to see a genuine look of awe on his face when I first appear in the church, in the dress, on the big day. I am pretty excited to put the dress on again....especially the part where they figure out how to make me look like it actually fits my chest. The dress is strapless of course, and there is a "gaping" issue. When I tried it on the first time, and the second time for that matter, you could literally look down and check out my goods. Not something I want to share with people on my wedding day. Sooo, tomorrow I may have my first experience with bra stuffing (the gel kind, not tissues). Check back for updates.

We will then be flying over to the chapel (the meeting is an hour after the dress fitting begins...ahh not enough time to complete all wedding tasks!) to meet with the music director. Not nearly as exciting. I heard he is old and kind of mean, so I am actually a little scared that he is going to force us into choosing music we don't like. Really, as long as it sounds pretty and makes the ceremony meaningful for us, I don't have any burning desire to fight for particular songs. With that said, I also don't want the music to be too cliche or lovey dovey. Okay, I do have one demand...I WILL NOT walk down the aisle to the traditional bridal march. We'll see what happens.

The rest of the night we will hopefully be able to relax and enjoy the peacefulness that is Pinehurst. We will also be without Kona....so that is both sad and releaving. It will be nice to have a night free of puppy entertaining, middle of the night barking/dreaming/kicking episodes, and trips outside for potty breaks. Also, my grandmother always gives me a hard time about having Kona in the condo, so a small part of me is happy that I won't have to feel bad about that or worry that she might pee or throw up on the carpet. I can't say I won't be sad though....she always brightens my day and her snuggles are heartwarming! I will just keep telling myself that she loves being at day care and it's fun to play with other puppies for one day/night! I also need a chance to sit down and work on my pre-marital counseling homework. Speaking of pre-marital counseling.....

On Sunday we are meeting with the pastor to partake in the counseling. Needless to say, we are both a little apprehensive. Not because we have anything to hide or don't feel like we're ready to get married, but just because it's super awkward discussing your deep dark feelings with a stranger! (Ohhhh the irony coming from the girl that forces adolescents to spill their guts in school counseling) But seriously, I hope he doesn't ask me anything too uncomfortable or private or religious...or make me feel stupid, guilty, etc. because then I will just get pissy.....and maybe cry (I have been really stressed lately). Deep down though I know it's for the best, and I certainly don't want to end up a statistic (i.e. divorced), so if they say I have to do some pre-marital counseling, I will do some pre-marital counseling. So wish us luck and hopefully we will still want to tie the knot!

Just kidding, of course we're still tying the knot!

1 comment:

  1. i'm been reading your blog this saturday morning (i can't sleep!) and i love it!

    ReplyDelete