Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

DIY Kitchen Cabinet Makeover?

Besides painting, the other big project we want to take on in our new house is the kitchen. The cabinets are nice quality, but the two toned wood just doesn't work for me. The gold hardware also has to go, but that is an easy fix.


We were thinking about stripping, sanding, and painting or re-staining the cabinets, but then I stumbled across Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations, which requires no stripping, sanding, or priming. Has anyone used this product? It sounds like a great way to go about changing your cabinets without spending a ton of money on replacing them. It also seems easier than figuring out how to do the whole painting/staining process on our own.

We want to make the cabinets darker. These are the two colors we like:


We are planning to glaze everything, so the colors really aren't that different in terms of darkness. However, Espresso seems to have more red undertones than Kona.

The Rust-Oleum website has a virtual tool that allows you to change the cabinet colors and countertop colors (they also have a DIY kit for that), so I tried the two cabinet colors with the countertop color that is closest to our countertops.


We are obviously more inclined to choose Kona because that is our dog's name. That is a good way to choose your cabinet color, right??

14 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great product! I didn't know something like that existed. It looks like a lot of steps and a lot of drying time but it sounds so much easier than sanding! I really want to repaint our bathroom cabinets so I'll have to look into this too. I hope it actually works that well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Kona better! it is kismet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the Kona better, actually. I think that darker tone looks fantastic with the stainless steel appliances!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, I think so! I finally emailed you too but I've heard great things about it! I can't wait to see! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. aye, i like both! and yes the fact that it's your dogs name is a great reason to pick a color :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please let us know if you use the product. I am desperate to change the color of our cabinets but the thought of all that work isn't motivating me at all. Would love a quick fix.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your blog because I'm trying to decide between espresso & kona myself. I am 99% sure I'm going with kona. Can't wait to see what you choose & how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you tried it? I would love to her your thoughts on the process. Looking to do the same process in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm using this kit with the federal gray color. It really is a good product. The deglosser is a workout and make sure you use that LIBERALLY as instructed, as we had a problem with a few spots not allowing the base coat to adhere and I'm pretty certain that was the reason. I have read on the darker colors the glaze doesn't make much a visual difference and it's a messy step so you may want to consider skipping that step altogether. I have only 10 cabinet doors so one kit was MORE than enough supplies. I hope to be sealing mine tonight - go for it, paint can always be redone. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kona is great! I am in the process of doing my own kitchen (147 sq. ft.) and so far so good. The glaze gives the wood a dimentional look, and is barely noticed, but I like the look. Just have to finish the clear. Good luck, paint always helps things look better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow amazing of all, I like dark colors, kitchen cabinets provide new inspiration for redecorating my kitchen, check out this site to get a better idea of DIY kitchen cabinet :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You really did a great job -- absolutely love everything about your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have so enjoyed reading as you blog about this kitchen makeover. It turned out fantastic!! So cute!

    ReplyDelete