Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Last Day

Today is the last day of school. I can't believe it is FINALLY here. While I am sure the last day of school will always be a significant day, it is especially significant for me because it is the last day of my first year of work. I knew it would be a difficult year solely because I had to prove to my school that I know what I am doing and that I am capable of holding my own in a difficult environment. It has been a long, hard year, but a very rewarding one as well. I have grown as an individual and as a professional and am very happy with the job I did. Sure, there are areas where I need to improve, but isn't there always something we can do better?

In 10 months I have changed a lot. I am more articulate and well-spoken, I can stand up for myself when I am right and I can accept criticism with grace when I am wrong. I learned how to sympathize with parents, how to control my emotions, and how to quiet my critics. I learned to not take things personally, like when I give parents negative reports and make them cry or when I tell a teacher something they don't want to hear and they get mad. I now know that "taking one for the team" is really not that bad and can help open doors, but also that I need to assert myself and not let people walk all over me. There are many more things that I have learned this year, but those are just a few examples. Each experience this year has taught me something, and I really need to reflect on everything during summer break so that I am refreshed and ready in August. Because I am not going to lie.....I am tired and ready for a break.

And speaking of August.... If you follow me on twitter you know that my position was terminated back in April due to budget cuts, but that I was reinstated earlier this month and will continue to work for my district next school year. I am so glad I can relax this summer knowing that I have a job to come back to in August!

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on such a rewarding first year! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you have a job waiting for you next year :) Sounds like you really enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Good for you! Sounds like the past 10 months have been so rewarding. Congrats on having a job to come back to, how relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on wrapping up your first year! And for having a job for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy for you Jackie!

    <3 your proud BFF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww yay for the last day of school! I am so thrilled you got reinstated for next year - what a freaking relief, right?! I hope you have a super fantastic summer!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats and enjoy your summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sometimes wish I worked in the schools because I love the "school's out for the summer!" vibe!

    Congrats on getting reinstated - that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete